Thursday, June 17, 2010

6/17/10

Again I went to soccer camp this morning before class. For some strange reason, today seemed less exhausting. I think it is since I didn't have to do as many drills.
In class today, we worked on writing, reading, and more public speaking. First, for writing, we wrote a transcript. This is mine:
Billy popped out behind the bush and shot Bob with a Maverick Nerf gun. "What was that for?" exclaimed Bob. Billy responded, " I was just trying to surprise you." Bob then grinned slyly. He replied, "Well then, you're up for a big surprise." Billy, now puzzled, questioned, "What do you mean?" Then Bob took out an Airsoft B-B gun and pointed it at Billy. He then yelled at the top of his lungs, "Fire!" B-B pellets streamed toward Billy. "So, you want a fight! Well you got one!" Billy then seized Bob's weapon and started shooting his adversary. Then Bob shouted, "It's on!"

Writing and presenting the script was pretty fun and I enjoyed it a lot. Next came reading. Today we read A Smile, a story that also came out of Chicken Soup for the Soul. This story is about a man who was saved by an unintentional smile. I was able to get a chance to read it. After this, everyone gave their speech that they had prepared the day before. I went last, speaking close to a minute and a half. Next on the agenda, our class listened to Carl give an impromptu speech about Apples. I enjoyed listening to him. It was amazing how he had came up with so many ideas just referring to an apple. After hearing him give the speech, everyone else got a turn. At this point I left.

1 comment:

  1. Great! I'm glad that you've enjoyed today (including my awesome apple speech :] ). However, one thing that you should remember is that each new line of dialogue should be a new paragraph. For example, taking your own work:

    "What was that for?" Exclaimed Bob.

    "I was just trying to surprise you." Bob then grinned..


    Etc. etc. If you look into a book, any children's book with dialogue will use this model.

    Also, after a period/exclamation mark/question mark in a quotation i.e. "What was that for?" the next word should be capitalized.

    Hope you'll have more fun tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete